CALL FOR ENTRY
Celebrating the 10th anniversary of FibreWorks Studio & Gallery in Pender Harbour, BC, Canada, 2017 provides the opportunity to showcase special events highlighting the excellence of the fibre artists who have exhibited, taught and attended workshops at FibreWorks.
One of these special events is a juried exhibition of basketry, inspired by the teachings of renowned basketry artist, Jackie Abrams of Vermont. (www.jackieabrams.com). In addition to the accepted submissions, the exhibition will feature some of Jackie’s fabulous work.
Jackie Abrams has been a basketmaker since 1975, when she first apprenticed to an 81-year-old traditional white ash basketmaker. Since 1990, she has been exploring plaiting techniques, the use of heavy cotton paper as a material, and the possibilities of contemporary basketry. She exhibits her work at shows, galleries and museums, has been included in numerous books, and teaches throughout the US, Australia, and Canada.
Yvonne Stowell is the owner and curator of FibreWorks Studio & Gallery in Pender Harbour, BC, and is an accomplished fibre artist, working in innovative ways with spinning, dyeing, knitting and weaving.
Jennifer Love has been an textile artist and teacher for over 30 years. She was a founding member of Foxglove Fibre Arts Studio/Gallery on Bowen Island, serving as its workshop and exhibitions co-ordinator until 2005. She served as the BC Representative for the Surface Design Association (SDA) from 2004 to 2014.
Beyond the Basics: Jackie Abrams and Friends will open June 17, 2017 with a special reception, and continue through to July 23, 2017. Jackie will be at the opening and at FibreWorks for the two weeks following.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. Open to all Canadian and American artists who have been students of Jackie Abrams during the past 26 years. Limit of 2 entries per artist. Deadline for entry is April 15, 2017.
2. Submitted works do not have to be baskets. Eligible works include any artwork in which the techniques of basketry taught by Jackie Abrams are the principle elements. Work completed in a workshop is not eligible.
3. All works must have been completed by the artist within the last 10 years.
4. All works must be of reasonable size, ready to install and available to ship within North America. Any accepted entries requiring unusual presentation (eg. wall hung, ceiling hung etc.) must arrive ready to install, with clear instructions.
5. All shipping costs and insurance are the responsibility of the artist.
6. Submissions must include the following:
▪ Completed and signed entry form (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD ENTRY FORM)
▪ Up to three images of each entry. The file name for each image must be numbered and include the name of the artist and title of each artwork. (eg. Stowell2ContainmentV). Please submit images saved as JPEG files – image size: not smaller than 1920 pixels on longest side, resolution: 300 ppi. Please supply photo credits.
▪ Image List including Artist’s name, Title, Dimensions, Medium, Year of completion, Retail price or NFS
▪ One page artist statement and/or short bio.
▪ All submitted information should be in digital format.
▪ Entry fee of $20 Cdn or $15 US. This may be paid through Paypal (CLICK HERE TO PAY BY PAYPAL); by cheque (Canadian bank accounts only); or with a credit card by phone (604-883-2380). Cheques may be mailed, with a copy of the entry form, to: FibreWorks Gallery, Box 311, 12887 Sunshine Coast Highway, Madeira Park, BC, Canada, V0N 2H0
▪ Email submissions should be sent to: email@example.com
7. Accepted artists will be required to accept the terms of the Artist-Gallery Contract, and to sign a waiver absolving the gallery, staff and volunteers of any liability. Participating artists must give permission to photograph the accepted work and/or use images for promotional purposes.
8. FibreWorks Gallery will accept payment on behalf of the artist for any artworks sold during the exhibition. Sold items attract a 30% commission payable to FibreWorks Gallery. Artworks sold may not be removed before the end of the exhibition, except in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the gallery owner. Any shipping charges for sold works will be charged to the purchaser.
Receipt of entries and fee payment: April 15, 2017
Selected artists notified by: May 1, 2017
Final selections will be made at the discretion of the jurors. All decisions are final.
Receipt of selected entries at FibreWorks Gallery, by: June 1, 2016
Opening of exhibition: June 17, 2017
Pickup after exhibition etc.: To be advised.
For more information, contact Yvonne Stowell at firstname.lastname@example.org.